Sunday, September 18, 2011

Last week of radiation!

My how times flies while one is having fun... or is just amazingly busy. :-)
I am down to the last 3 radiation treatments. I have one Monday- Wednesday this week and then this third phase of cancer treatments is over. I am ready for this to be over. My right armpit is very raw feeling, like I fell asleep in the sun with my arm over my head. I have walked around the last two days with my right hand on my hip to keep the upper arm at a 45 degree angle - away from my body to allow the skin some air, and to not rub the arm against the armpit. The body language look is that I have an attitude! The Radia-plex lotion I am using helps, but it will just take some time for the "sunburn" to settle down. Radiation is making me a little tired, but I have learned to take naps, Thursday and Friday afternoons a nap is a must. I talked with my oncologist last week about the lingering side-effects from the chemo treatments and she said it may take another 4 months or so for those side effects to go away.
So I am practicing patience as well as learning to lean on community for help, healing and prayer.
Thanks again for your prayers. I know there is still a large group of you asking about me and remembering me before God and I can fell the effects of those prayers.
Some of you have asked about the financial aspects of all this treatment and we have been truly blessed by the insurance coverage where Al works. Of course there are lots of little $20 co-pays here and there and prescription co-pays as well, but for the most part (more than 95%) all costs have been covered by insurance. Again, God was working this out for us in advance as the insurance, at GE, where Al previously worked had been drastically cut in the last few years.
Now I am ready to focus on staying physically fit and eating a healthy diet. I have some great friends at work who are ready for me to exercise with them again, now that the radiation treatments are coming to a close. Also, my master's program is complete and my degree is in the mail! I have much to be thankful for in this coming harvest and thanksgiving season.  I would love to hear what you are all thankful for as well. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful for YOU and your positive attitude and perseverance these last 10 months! And I am so thankful for the many praying friends that lifted you in prayer and continue to ask "How is Mary doing?" The Body of Christ - what a blessing! Much love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete